Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Rewind... Running Day 7 of 24

So after my knees started hurting a week ago, Monday, I was advised to take a rest from running. They mostly recovered by the time I picked it back up, 6 days later, on Sunday. I was also advised not to increase my workout just yet and repeat the same week I just finished. So we're back on week 3 (days 7, 8 and 9 of my 24 day plan).

I felt decent during my run, but my knees still hurt a tiny bit. I was really concentrating on my knees and trying to run so steady, and not knock kneed. My knees are not exactly knocking together, but my glutes and quads need strengthening in order to accomplish proper form. I'm definitely working on it with two special stretches/exercises from my physical therapist friend that is giving me all this advice.

I am also in the process of getting oxygen tanks and a special backpack to carry them in while I run. The problem is, my insurance company needs proof that I'm de-satting like I do while I'm running. A prescription from the doctor is not enough, even though that's what I have! It's insane that they don't just trust the doctor on this. It's like pulling teeth to get what you need with an HMO, but alas, I'm used to it.

I'll probably have to go into my docs office w/ my running gear and steal his huge heavy pulse ox and take it for a run with me to record my sats. I don't think there will be any other way. My hospital does not have a treadmill as far as I know. It will be interesting!

My next running day will probably be Thursday. I won't have oxygen yet, obviously, so I guess it's best that I'm not increasing my workout. So I'll do more of the same which is 90 seconds running, 90 seconds walking, 3 minutes running, 3 minutes walking... and repeat that cycle.

No comments: