Sunday, October 4, 2009

5K Day!

Pictures from the event can be found HERE!

My 5K morning started out at 5:45 AM. It was a sloppy start, as I didn't hear the alarm right away, and then when I did hear it, my arm wasn't working. It was asleep from the shoulder to the elbow, so I could not move it at all! I kept trying and trying and in my fog of bewilderment I could not figure out that all I had to do was sit up and use my other arm.

I got a quick shortened treatment in. Just some xopenex and hypertonic saline with the vest for 25 minutes. After a quick change into my running clothes and a small bowl of cereal, we were out the door at 6:30AM! Tom and Abby were fast asleep in their beds while Auntie Rachel spent the night and agreed to babysit for us. It was a huge help! I'm not sure Tom and Abby would have enjoyed the 51 degree temperature or the pre-dawn hour.

While we were lined up waiting for the 5K start we bumped into Sacramento's mayor, former NBA player, Kevin Johnson. I asked him if he would take a photo with us and he obliged! Pictures from the event can be found HERE!

Our race started a few minutes late, but eventually we were off! My sister, Dani, and my college buddy, Tamiko, ran my pace with me. Part of the time they could actually walk and still keep up with my 16 minute mile pace. Tamiko would run ahead from time to time to snap photos of me during the race. I can't wait to see them.

When I saw the 1 mile mark, I was thinking, "that's it?! We've only gone ONE mile?" But on we trudged. Passing some walkers, being passed by other walkers. Eventually my legs got into a groove and I ran the whole way! My right hip (bursitis) was bothering me, but it was not debilitating, so I didn't have to walk. It's probably going to be more inflamed and painful tomorrow.

For the last tenth of a mile I was able to speed up for a strong finish. Running through the crowds of people cheering me on was amazing! First I saw the twins' preschool teachers, Miss Mim and Miss Pahla. Then I was surprised to find another face in the crowd cheering me on, Linda, a respiratory therapist I met in 1984 at Cystic Fibrosis summer camp. I did run into her around town once, so I know she's local and it was great to hear her yelling my name! Then came the support group of friends. Paul was there (he finished way before me) and Laura and Jen brought signs and streamers! And lastly there were my in-laws right as I was crossing the finish line. They came out at 7:30 in the morning and stood in the freezing cold to watch me run.

What a day!

Laura, Jen, Paul and I went to Fox and Goose for a big celebratory breakfast afterwards. I came home and tried to be functional. I gave up around 1PM and retired to my room. Much to my surprise I woke up around 4:30! Boy was I wiped out from the longest week in history with 2 birthday parties planned and attended, topped off by a 5K this morning.

I ended up beating my goal by 3 seconds per mile. I was aiming for 16 minute miles, and I pulled down 15:57 per mile. My total running time was 49:26. I came in 766th out of 924 participants in the 5K and I believe I was the only one wearing an oxygen tank! Paul did much better, and even beat the former NBA player, now mayor of Sacramento, Kevin Johnson. Paul placed 96th overall and finished the race in 25:51.

4 comments:

Piper said...

Go, Tara!

Seriously, you should be so proud of yourself! What a huge accomplishment, and I'll bet everyone out there this morning was admiring your spunk (nothing like an O2 tank to practically scream "I'm hardcore!"). As fr beating your own goal, well that's just showing off ;)

I'm hoping we'll get to read about many more 5Ks and milestones from you. Honestly, I'm super motivated by your "lung project."

Jess said...

Great job Tara!!! What a huge accomplishment :)

Amy said...

That is amazing Tara!!!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!

I bet everyone in that crowd was cheering for you!!!! Nothing like seeing an O2 tank to prove that you CAN do it and that ANYONE can do anything!!!!!

You ROCK!

CowTown said...

Awesome posseum!!!