Friday, June 26, 2009

Running Shoes

This week I purchased running shoes. As my 6 month project came to a close, and my FEV1 did not budge even one one-hundredth of a point, I realized the next best thing to do is hit the pavement to see if that helps.

I am training for a 5K, but right now I'll take 5 blocks!

I started my training on Wednesday morning. I will be running 3 days a week for 8 weeks. This is a beginners training course.

My goal on Wednesday was to run for 60 seconds and walk 90 seconds. Continue and repeat 6 times. The first 2 rounds were hard, but not unbearable. I actually fooled myself into thinking I could DO THIS!

It was around minute 14 that things got really bad. I actually had to stop my stopwatch, sit on the curb and catch my breath. After resting for about 3 minutes I re-started my stopwatch and continued on my run. 2.5 minutes later, I had to stop again for about 3 minutes. At the end of the run when I was supposed to walk 90 seconds I couldn't even do that. Again, I stopped the stop watch and sat on the pavement under a tree nauseated and completely worn out. I finally got up and walked the rest of the way home. I made it about 1 mile in 18 minutes. Pretty sad.

Tomorrow I'm going to bring my pulse oximeter with me just too see how hypoxic I'm becoming.

No comments: