Thursday, November 19, 2009

Mile A Day

So I've been doing this Mile A day thing for about a week I think. I took some time off when I flew to San Diego. I don't have any way to transport my oxygen tanks when I travel in the air, so I get to take breaks off running when I vacation.

Today I ran my mile in 12:56. I'm not impressed with the time, but considering the amount of ground I covered while walking, I think it's ok. I wish I could get under 12 minutes. I always set out with high expectations. I run and it feels great for about 40 seconds. How sad is that? FORTY SECONDS. That's about the amount of time it takes for my sats to drop.

I was telling Paul the other day that running with such low oxygen sats is really hard and I feel like I can't breathe in deep at all. I'll have to video tape it sometime so you can see how much I struggle. Sometimes I get really panicky like I'm never going to be able to catch my breath. I didn't have the same panic while I was jogging, training for my 5K. I think it's the extra exertion that causes the extreme breathlessness that only someone with chronic lung disease can appreciate. It kinda sucks. I miss the days of breathing effortlessly!

No comments: